5 Common Mistakes to Avoid After a DUI Arrest

Most DUI offenders are not familiar with the criminal defense system, especially they are facing their first criminal charge. When going through the motions of your DUI case, there is plenty of room for error that can result in further legal trouble or even additional charges. By avoiding these mistakes, you can be on your way to obtaining a favorable outcome in the end.

Here are some of the most common mistakes people make after a DUI arrest:

  1. Ignore your charges – Just because you fail to do anything about your DUI charges, doesn’t mean it will go away. If you end up missing your first court hearing, you could be subject to a warrant out for your arrest.
  2. Assume guilt – Being arrested doesn’t mean you are guilty of the alleged crime. But if you plead guilty, you will lose the chance to use any viable defenses to fight the charges against you. In addition, you will be subject to the maximum penalties, including jail time.
  3. Speak to the police – While law enforcement may appear to be on your side and provide you with an opportunity to “clear your name,” your side of the story could be used against you in court. Explaining yourself can potentially lead to self-incrimination, giving the police plenty of evidence to support their case.
  4. Continue to drive despite a suspended license – A DUI arrest can lead to an automatic suspension of your driver’s license administered by the DMV, which is different from the suspension administered by the court after conviction. If you are caught driving while your license is suspended, your penalties could increase, or you could be charged with another offense.
  5. Not hire a lawyer – To avoid any of the mistakes mentioned above and more, having a skilled criminal defense attorney can help you get the best possible outcome. Your lawyer can help you navigate the intricacies of the criminal justice process while protecting your rights and future.

If you have been arrested for a DUI in Bakersfield, contact Koenig Law Office today at (661) 793-7222 and request a free case review to let us discuss your case.